Driving with the first log wheel

Around Australia Trip 2010

And Finally......

 Well, we are slowly getting used to normality. Nathan has returned to work and Elokin to preschool. Hendrix and I are still getting used to not having everyone around. We all had haircuts the first week we were back, as well as gave our rig a much needed wash. We also fixed the...Read More »

Day 234 – Homeward Bound

Wednesday, 16 February 2011

It rained during the night so of course the camper is all wet this morning for the final pack up. 94 times we have done this and I will be glad to not have to do it again. We packed it up and were on the road...Read More »

Day 233 – Our last day here

Tuesday, 15 February 2011

It was overcast again this morning and then it rained. Elokin and Hendrix had fun collecting water off the roof and filling their sand toys up. The sun tried to come out, but didn’t. Not very good weather for our last day on the trip. The kids...Read More »

Day 232 – Hmmm sunshine, finally

Monday, 14 February 2011

What a pleasant surprise, the sun was out this morning when I eventually opened my eyes. After breakfast we thought we would make the most of the sunshine and headed for the beach. Nathan even had a swim. When we came back to camp it was lunch...Read More »

Day 231 – A lazy day

Sunday, 13 February 2011

It was overcast again this morning and then got quite cold. Most people camped here left today, all but one camp. Nathan had a nap this morning and the rest appears to have helped his rash. He and Hendrix went for a walk to look for more...Read More »

Day 230 – We discovered a rash

Saturday, 12 February 2011

It wasn’t raining, but still overcast and now windy this morning. We stayed in bed as long as possible, which was after 8.30am. After breakfast I washed Nathan’s hair as we discovered he has a rash on his face and ears, so we figured his hair might...Read More »

Day 229 – Driving around in circles….

Friday, 11 February 2011

We packed up and were on the road at 9.45am heading south. First we arrived at Long Beach to a dead end road and had to back track to the turn off to Maloneys Beach. Both of these were very nice, sleepy little beach towns. We turned...Read More »

Day 228 – The car is back

Thursday, 10 February 2011

The weather cleared up today and the sun came out. The couple parked opposite us in their Winnebago left this morning, but not before taking us on a tour of their rig. Very nice and flash, a great home. They have been travelling around Australia for 7...Read More »

Day 227 – Housekeeping

Wednesday, 9 February 2011

This morning first thing I got the 2 loads of washing done and when I got them out and walked to the clothes line, it started to rain, so into the drier they went. It was a rainy, overcast and cold day today. We received a phone...Read More »

Day 226 – Sending the car to get fixed

Tuesday, 8 February 2011

We packed up and were heading into Nowra by 9.45am. We booked into Shoalhaven Caravan Village, at a cost of $96 for a powered site for 3 nights. We set up camp and unpacked what we would need from the car for the next few days and...Read More »

Day 225 – More dead fish

Monday, 7 February 2011

It wasn’t windy this morning, but it was still chilly. We went for a short walk up the beach and saw 4 dead puffer fish blown up on shore, as well as tonnes of seaweed. We chatted to a nice couple from England that stayed here last...Read More »

Day 224 – Nathan takes a risk

Sunday, 6 February 2011

It wasn’t windy like predicted this morning so Nathan decided to head out to the heads anyway. We dropped him and the boat off at the beach and then headed back to camp. By the time I had washed up, dressed Elokin, Hendrix and I in our...Read More »

Day 223 – More skurfing fun

Saturday, 5 February 2011

We headed into Callala Bay to try and get a new tyre for the tinny wheels or fix the existing one. It got a fish bone stuck in it from the beach the other day and went flat. We couldn’t get one, so we bought a tyre...Read More »

Day 222 – Another day in Jervis Bay

Friday, 4 February 2011

The young guys camped next to us decided to get on it and keep waking us up until almost 2am last night. Between them and the possum coming into camp we had a very crappy night sleep. On the way to dig a hole this morning, I...Read More »

Day 221 – Fishing in Jervis Bay

Thursday, 3 February 2011

Well, when we awoke to rain this morning, fishing was out. We actually had quite heavy rain for the fist time this trip. I collected rain water with buckets and nearly filled all of them. There was lots of water. We hung out inside and ate our...Read More »

Day 220 – Skurfing Fun

Wednesday, 2 February 2011

Hendrix climbed into our bed wet this morning, so back to nappies for him tonight. We heard the defence land firing canons at 7.30am and then again an hour later. We went down to the beach to see if we could see them, but nope. There are...Read More »

Day 219 – Playing with the kids

Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Hendrix woke us before the sun to let us know he needed a wee, but had already started. This was the first night he hadn’t worn a nappy since before Christmas. So I rinsed his bedding and climbed back into bed. We then slept in until 9am!...Read More »

Day 218 – The clutch clapped out

Monday, 31 January 2011

We were very indecisive this morning, but we ended up packing up and leaving at 10.45am. Not far up the road we heard and felt the clutch start to slip. By this stage it was stinking hot, so we looked for a place with shade to stop...Read More »

Day 217 – Termeil Beach

Sunday, 30 January 2011

We got up this morning and decided to hang around instead of moving on. We went for a walk down the road to Termeil Beach and then walked around the rocks to the south and found a nice little pebbly sandy beach. Lots of little rocks and...Read More »

Day 216 – Can’t find a nice place to ourselves

Saturday, 29 January 2011

We filled up the water tank and I backed up some more photos before we packed up this morning. After saying goodbye to the Roos family we departed the park at 11am. A fuel stop in Moruya and then through to Batemans Bay for groceries and a...Read More »

Day 215 – Into a caravan park finally

Friday, 28 January 2011

I was up at 7am this morning getting a wallaby out of our rubbish bag. We packed up and were back on the road at 8.20am. Into Bermagui for diesel and some basic supplies, and then up the road to Wallaga Lake, to Ocean Lake Caravan Park....Read More »

Day 185 – Across the Nullarbor and into SA

Wednesday, 29 December 2010

Back on the 90 mile straight just before 9.30am. We had a photo with the west bound sign and then stopped for a top up of fuel at Caigun Roadhouse. We lost 45 minutes at 11.35 which then became 12.20pm as we crossed the Central Western time...Read More »

Day 184 – Heading to the Nullarbor

Tuesday, 28 December 2010

Yay, we can finally get back in t-shirts and shorts rather than the tracksuits we have lived in for the past couple of weeks. Even though we were up early as it was warm in the camper, we still didn’t get under way until 8.45am. Found 2...Read More »

Day 183 – Driving, driving, driving

Monday, 27 December 2010

We were up at 7am and by the time we got out of bed; Les and Maree had packed up and were saying goodbye. We took our time as I wasn’t feeling so good, I think I may have got what El had. After saying goodbye to...Read More »

Day 182 – Boxing Day

Sunday, 26 December 2010

Elokin was still not well this morning and fell asleep on our bed until lunch time, after a breakfast of dry toast and water. She woke up well and happy and perky. We sat around eating left overs from Christmas Day.

After lunch Nathan and Matt went for...Read More »

Day 181 – Christmas Day

Saturday, 25 December 2010

I got up early this morning to an overcast, drizzly day. I sat and enjoyed the peace and quiet before going back to bed. Elokin was the last awake and we all eventually got up to see what Santa had brought. Nathan and I enjoyed coco pops...Read More »

Day 170 to 180 – Parry Beach

Tuesday, 14 December 2010 to Friday 24 December 2010

Over the past 10 days we have spent at Parry Beach not that much exciting stuff has happened so I am blocking it all together in one entry. We have been into Denmark 3 times for supplies and washing, and Albany once...Read More »

Day 169 – More big trees

Monday, 13 December 2010

We packed up and were back on the road just before 8.30am. Along the way we found a stall out the front of an avocado farm selling 2nds 5 for $2, so both Maree and I grabbed 5 each. There was nothing wrong with them and in...Read More »

Day 168 – Climbing tall trees

Sunday, 12 December 2010

We packed up again this morning as our camping destination for this afternoon is unknown. First stop was Beedelup Falls. We got to walk on a suspension bridge to view the falls which was lots of fun. I went out first and got half way when Maree...Read More »

Day 167 – Destination… unknown

Saturday, 11 December 2010

There was a kangaroo in Les and Maree’s camp this morning that had a joey hanging out of its pouch. Well at least the tail and ears. It was very cute, but I think he was getting a bit big to be in there.

We packed up and...Read More »

Day 166 – Playing cards around camp

Friday, 10 December 2010

Another sleep in until 8 this morning. We played Uno with Les and Maree for most of the morning. We kept following the sunshine as it was cool, but at one point had to move a different table with shade as the sun was out and it...Read More »

Day 165 – MMM Chocolate and Nuts

Thursday, 9 December 2010

It was cold this morning and we managed to sleep in until after 8am! We hung around camp this morning. When I opened up my window and looked out at the camp before getting out of bed, it reminded me of Crystal Springs camp where we had...Read More »

Day 164 – Christmas Shopping in Perth

Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Back on the road at 8.30am this morning. We had morning tea and did our Christmas Shopping at Lakeside Shopping Centre in Joondalup before getting diesel and heading to Bias Boating in Claremont to pick up the new depth sounder, flares and a battery. We then headed...Read More »

Day 163 – The Pinnacles

Tuesday, 7 December 2010

We woke up during the night to heavy rain after going to sleep to light rain which was lovely. It was gone when morning broke. We had a lovely walk to the other beach, on the headland boardwalk and back along our beach. We saw a ray,...Read More »

Day 162 – Nathan went swimming with dolphins

Monday, 6 December 2010

After breakfast with our cups of teas in hand, we went up onto the dune to view the bay. There were dolphins swimming in nice and close to shore, so Nathan handed me his cup and dived in to the water. 2 dolphins came up close to...Read More »

Day 161 – Dolphins and a Seal

Sunday, 5 December 2010

We saw dolphins and a seal in close to shore this morning. We then hung out in the gazebo on the dune chatting, eating morning tea and watching the water. Lots of people left today, emptying out the full campground. I did a lot of journal catching...Read More »

Day 160 – More sand dune fun

Saturday, 4 December 2010

Hendrix wet his bed again this morning, so I had to re-wash his bedding. We have decided to put him back into nappies for his night time sleep for a week or so to see if we can get him back on track.

We had a nice relaxing...Read More »

Day 159 – Sandy Cape

Friday, 3 December 2010

On the road again this morning, but it was a late pack up and then we had to say goodbye to Helen, Hamish, Lily and Dean, Sandra and Charlotte. We stopped for diesel at the Woolies servo before getting lost on the way out of town heading...Read More »

Day 158 – A Party for Lily

Thursday, 2 December 2010

Our car had its first bath since leaving home today and it looks so much cleaner! It was in need of it. We did some more shopping including groceries and then headed back to camp for a late lunch and more washing. Les and Maree phoned and...Read More »

Day 157 – 1st day of summer

Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Maree and Les left before us this morning as we are parting company for a few days. We are going to Geraldton to shop and they are going to Coronation Beach. We were underway just after 9am. Straight into Geraldton information centre and then into Belair Caravan...Read More »

Day 156 – Elokin and Hendrix buy lollies

Tuesday, 30 November 2010

A lovely relaxing day today, bumming around camp. We went for a walk to the beach for Elokin and Hendrix to play in the playground again. I also bought some milk and gave the kids 20c each to buy lollies for the 1st time. They couldn’t decide...Read More »

Day 155 – The pink lake

Monday, 29 November 2010

We packed up this morning and Nathan found a gecko in our camper, so I relocated him to Maree’s camper so he wouldn’t get swashed. We were underway just after 8.30 and stopped just after the shacks at Halfway Bay to pump up tyres. On the 3rd...Read More »

Day 154 – Playing on the sand dunes

Sunday, 28 November 2010

Okay, so not a breath of wind this morning when the alarm went off at 6am. Nathan had prepared in case of good weather. He was up and out immediately, quickly ate breakfast and was down the beach taking the boat off the roof. He and Les...Read More »

Day 153 – Finding Lucky Bay

Saturday, 27 November 2010

Up early this morning and by the time we had breakfast in our hands the flies had already driven us nuts! We were back on the road just after 7am driving past more wheat fields. We went for a walk to Natures Window in Kalbarri National Park...Read More »

Day 152 – The Stromatolites

Friday, 26 November 2010

We were underway earlier this morning, heading back out at 8.30am. We had a morning tea stop on the side of the Useless Loop Rd to pump up our tyres before heading to Hamelin Pool to see the Stromatolites. We ate lunch and had an ice-cream before...Read More »

Day 151 – Steep Point, the most Western Point of Australia

Thursday, 25 November 2010

Hendrix arrived in our bed this morning wet as he had done a wee in his bed. So before the sun was up we were out putting his bedding in a bucket of water. Seen as I was up I figured I would take some photos before...Read More »

Day 150 – Oh what a day…

Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Les and Maree took Elokin, Lily and Hendrix for a walk along the beach while we packed up. We left at 9.30am. We made a stop at the scenic lookout over looking Shell Beach followed by another stop at Shell Beach for photos. They quarry the shells...Read More »

Day 149 – Emu’s walking down the street

Tuesday, 23 November 2010

We packed up and left at 9.30. Into Denham for air in our tyres, diesel and limited food as we were still stocked up from Carnarvon. The kids played in the playground while I blogged and Nathan shopped. I did a load of washing as well. Les...Read More »

Day 126 – Crossing Yardie Creek and onto Ningaloo Station

Sunday, 31 October 2010

We were up and out early this morning to avoid the ranger, as we knew she was after us. We also needed to get across Yardie Creek at low tide which was 9.30am. There was no wind when we got up this morning but as it went...Read More »

Day 125 – More snorkelling

Saturday, 30 October 2010

It was so windy this morning we didn’t want to get up. Eventually grumbling bellies made us. We have new neighbours; Jules and Andy from Sydney with sons Daniel and Elliot.

The ranger came today but didn’t see us hiding from the wind in the camper. Nathan was...Read More »

Day 124 – Into Exmouth

Friday, 29 October 2010

What a surprise, windy again! We headed into town today as we needed to check the post office before heading south as both the Jordan’s and us were expecting mail. We cleaned up at the op shop. $5 a bag for clothes and they were all clean...Read More »

Day 123 – Its getting windy….

Thursday, 28 October 2010

Very windy and cold today. We did venture out to Oyster Stacks at low tide for a look and some photos at Linda’s suggestion. It was really nice. We also checked out Bloodwood Creek which is a lookout to nothing; Pilgramunna, a nice camp and place to...Read More »

Day 122 – Fishing at Sandy Bay

Wednesday, 27 October 2010

The ranger caught us today so we paid for 2 nights. I found it very hard to sit down today as my bum was so red. I wont be tanning it again anytime soon. We went to Milyering Visitor Centre and Lakeside camp. We then headed back...Read More »

Day 121 – Snorkelling at Ningaloo Reef

Tuesday, 26 October 2010

Laying in bed last night a big kangaroo moved the trailer while getting a piece of bread crust out of the sink. After scaring it away, it returned, so I went out this time as I had to collect the bread bag it had taken. We told...Read More »

Day 120 – Cape Range National Park

Monday, 25 October 2010

We had yummy bacon and eggs for brekkie this morning before packing up. Nathan and I had cool showers before jumping in the car. We left at 9.30am. We had a fuel stop at a roadhouse and a lunch stop at a rest area near the turnoff...Read More »

Day 119 – Leaving because of the flies

Sunday, 24 October 2010

At about 1am this morning I realised that we had forgotten our wedding anniversary a couple of days ago! How bad is that! When I told Nathan in the morning he then told Adam that he had spent our wedding anniversary in the boat all day with...Read More »

Day 118 – Arrhhh the flies!

Saturday, 23 October 2010

Pack up and brekkie. We were ready about 9.30am so we left our camp and headed over to the Jordan’s camp. They had come across a problem with the roof not going down. They had bent the poles from changing camp spots on the 2nd day while...Read More »

Day 117 – They see a sailfish

Friday, 22 October 2010

Up early this morning for another attempt to get us all out to the island. Wil came with our family on the first run at 7am, but it was already really choppy and not so pleasant; big swells. Neither of us felt confident in taking everyone over...Read More »

Day 116 – Another day at 40 Mile

Thursday, 21 October 2010

This mornings plan was to ferry is all out to the island not far from the mainland. Adam, Wil and Nathan went fishing at 7am while Linda and I got our children ready and were supposed to be back in an hour to pick us up. Our...Read More »

Day 115 – Not so keen on Wahoo

Wednesday, 20 October 2010

It was another calm, glassy morning on the water so of course Nathan and Adam were out in the boat early. I did the boring house chores of hand washing our underwear as we had run out and tidied up the camp. Hendrix had an early sleep...Read More »

Day 114 – Time to save our patrol

Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Last night we surprisingly fell asleep rather quickly. We were awake and up early though and had to wake the kids to eat breakfast so we could get over to the Jordan’s camp for a lift back to the car. Nathan was quite annoyed with the weather...Read More »

Day 113 – Stuck in the mud

Monday, 18 October 2010

There were boats out early this morning as it was calm and no wind. We saw dolphins in front of our camp and when we were eating breakfast, they were frolicking around nice and close to shore. Linda came over not long after and told us that...Read More »

Day 112 – 40 Mile Beach

Sunday, 17 October 2010

So the spot we found last night was pretty good, but we folded up the camper and started the search for a new spot by 7am. We didn’t do the road cover up properly or eat breakfast, figured that we wouldn’t be long and we would be...Read More »

Day 111 – Back to Hamersley Gorge

Saturday, 16 October 2010

After having some breakfast and packing up, we headed back into Hamersley Gorge for another swim and more photos. We were on the road by 8.10 so it was nice and early by the time we got there. We found a rope swing to play on and...Read More »

Day 110 – Hamersley Gorge

Friday, 15 October 2010

This morning I was the first up, I even beat the sun. I decided that I needed to get stuff done as we are packing up and hopefully getting out of here early today. The rest of the family followed shortly after the sun. We ate breakfast...Read More »

Photo's from Linda

These photos we taken by Linda at Cape Keraudren and Karijini National Park.

...Read More »

Day 109 – Hancock and Weano Gorges

Thursday, 14 October 2010

We got up early this morning ready for our big walking day. We quickly said goodbye to the Jordan’s as they were heading into Tom Price to pick up a spare tyre and then head off to Hamersley Gorge. We drove over to the Weano Day Use...Read More »

Day 108 – Dales Gorge

Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Linda and I had planned on going back to Fern Pool this morning around 7.30 for another photography session, but I woke up feeling worse than yesterday and my legs were killing me, so we gave it a miss. After bacon and eggs I hitched a ride...Read More »

Day 107 – Karijini Photo Shoot

Tuesday, 12 October 2010

Linda woke me up at 5am for a photo shoot this morning as there is no way that I could possibly wake up at that time on my own. We walked down to Fern Pool before the sun rose into the gorge. After our shoot and the...Read More »

Day 106 – Karijini National Park

Monday, 11 October 2010

Pack up day. We tried to get out early this morning so we could get to our next camp in Karijini early and make the most of the day. On the road by 8.20 we didn’t do too badly. Dales campground is our camp for at least...Read More »

Day 105 – Mt Robinson Rest Area

Sunday, 10 October 2010

Upon getting up this morning and not feeling very energetic, we decided to hang around here today. Plus we are all battling colds and could really use the rest. Nathan cleaned out our air filter as our fuel consumption had gone up, so hopefully this will help....Read More »

Day 104 – Eagle Rock Falls

Saturday, 9 October 2010

I finally got around to washing Hendrix bedding this morning, as his nappy leaked two mornings ago, but we weren’t near water to wash them, so he had to sleep with no sheet, pillow case or foam underlay. There are still bugs around, but no where near...Read More »

Day 103 – Doolena Gorge, Marble Bar & Ophthalmia Dam

Friday, 8 October 2010

We went for a walk around the gorge after breakfast. And yes, it is very dry. Not a skerrick of water to be seen anywhere. It is still a very nice gorge, but I am sure it would be stunning when there is water in here. We...Read More »

Day 102 – Port Hedland and South Hedland

Thursday, 7 October 2010

This morning was so windy that it made packing up very hard. We ate breakfast inside the camper and one of the poles fell down in the wind and hit Elokin in the head. Blowing one of those poles over is no small feat. We were finally...Read More »

More photos to view

There are more photos for viewing at http://www.redbubble.com/people/romandar/art

I have finally got around to updating it. Please take a look, as there are photos on there that are not on here. Enjoy!

...Read More »

Bogged at Honeymoon Bay

I forgot to mention that the day before we left Honeymoon Bay I got the patrol bogged in the soft sand on the beach. I drove the car down to the boat to save myself a few trips of unloading it, but got bogged in the process. Oops. Linda took...Read More »

Day 102 – Cape Keraudren

Wednesday, 6 October 2010

During the night it started to rain with more lightning around. The rain wasn’t heavy, but enough to be a pain and make us get out of bed to put things under cover. It didn’t help much as the rain was blowing straight in under the awning....Read More »

Day 101 – Eighty Mile Beach

Tuesday, 5 October 2010

This morning Nathan gave me a break from our children and took them fishing in the boat. They didn’t see any of the wildlife that they had the day before, so it was a bit disappointing for the kids. Nathan caught a cod but didn’t keep it,...Read More »

Day 100 – Pancakes for all

Monday, 4 October 2010

This morning I got up and made my pancakes for everyone. I managed to convert Adam to liking pancakes as he wasn’t a fan, but he said they were the best he has ever had. I like those kind of comments.

After breakfast, Matt and Nathan went out...Read More »

Day 99 – All together again at Cape Keraudren

Sunday, 3 October 2010

This morning Nathan and Matt went fishing in the boat. They disappeared over the horizon after about an hour. While they were gone Robyn and I lazed around while Elokin and Hendrix played. Robyn then got them to help make a very easy vanilla slice. The guys...Read More »

Day 98 – Going further south

Saturday, 2 October 2010

No fog this morning, thank goodness. We got up before the kids and had a cup of tea, and then Hendrix got up followed shortly by Elokin. After breakfast we went for a morning stroll on the beach to collect some rocks and shells for pendants. It...Read More »

Day 97 – Barn Hill Station

Friday, 1 October 2010

This morning we awoke to a very heavy fog and everything wet. The washing we had hung out almost dry last night was now soaking wet again. It eventually burnt off and the sun came out, but the coolness was a nice change while it lasted. We...Read More »

Day 96 – A change of scenery

Thursday, 30 September 2010

Pack up day. It was already getting hot while we were pulling apart our camp and packing it away. By the time we were organised and said goodbye to Karen and Steve and then Shanragh (Grayton was already out fishing in the boat) it was 10.45. We...Read More »

Day 95 – Playing on the beach

Wednesday, 29 September 2010

This morning it was low tide again so we went walking around the rocks to find lost tackle and more shells. Nathan and the kids left me as I was taking too long, and I ended up finding them at Steve and Karen’s. Elokin and Hendrix had...Read More »

Day 94 – Matt goes fishing with Nathan

Tuesday, 28 September 2010

At low tide this morning we went for a walk on the rocks for tackle and fossicking for shells. Matt and Nathan went fishing with Grayton. Matt bought the kids a bag of lollies, and Robyn got me a pastry and Nathan and I a big block...Read More »

Day 93 – Taking up residence at Quondong

Monday, 27 September 2010

At low tide this morning we went down onto the beach and rock pools to collect bait and shells. Nathan went fishing with Steve, Karen and Grayton, so there were 3 boats out today. Good safety. Around lunch time Matt and Robyn stopped by to say hi...Read More »

Day 89 – A sad day for the Kimberley

Thursday, 23 September 2010

We saw a dingo going through our camp last night; in fact he woke me up 3 times during the night coming back. We had a few drops of rain through the night too, that woke me up as well. For the first time ever, I slept...Read More »

Day 88 – Sick of the wind

Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Oh for goodness sake wind, GO AWAY!!!! Everyone morning it is the same thing. Although this morning we did have a plane fly over looking like it was in trouble. It was very low to the water and looked like it had smoke coming out of it....Read More »

Day 87 – Time to move

Tuesday, 21 September 2010

Okay, this morning whilst eating sand in our breakfast yet again, we decided enough was enough it is time to move! So we quickly packed up and headed to the north end of the beach, still at Quondong. We were lucky that there was a spot right...Read More »

Day 86 – The fridge needs to be fixed

Monday, 20 September 2010

We had to take the fridge in to be looked at this morning, as it is just not working properly. Not only does it not freeze anything, but even the little bit of margarine that we have left would not reset after going soft. We kept it...Read More »

Day 85 – Quondong Point

Sunday, 19 September 2010

This morning was blowing a gale, yet again, so we stayed in the comfort of bed as long as possible. We finally emerged and ate the last of the Just Right before going for a drive in the car (again) to try to find another place to...Read More »

Day 84 – Quondong Point

Saturday, 18 September 2010

Okay, so maybe not the best spot. The wind picked up during the night and I thought we were going to take flight. When we got up this morning, the kitchen and the food in the back of the trailer were covered in red sand as we...Read More »

Day 83 – Bye bye tooth

Friday, 17 September 2010

We had a quick chat to Neil and Kelly with their 3 kids, who have been camped next to us in a Coromal van before they packed up and left. Nathan remembered seeing them at Bell Gorge and I remembered their van from Silent Grove. WE also...Read More »

Day 82 – Fixing the roof rack and sightseeing Broome

Thursday, 16 September 2010

Today consisted of washing in the morning then buying a few groceries, an Annual Parks Pass plus heavy duty bolts to hold the cage on the bars for $43. We also checked out Broome Port and Entrance Point as the bolt place was right near it. The...Read More »

Day 81 – Blowing a gale

Wednesday, 15 September 2010

This morning was so windy. In fact it was blowing a gale. We struggled to pack up, but eventually got there. We ran out of water last night so it was off to the tap to fill the tank before heading south just before 9am. We arrived...Read More »

Day 80 – Middle Lagoon

Tuesday, 14 September 2010

This morning saw us getting more blue crabs for bait to catch blue bone fish. From the headland we watched whales playing again before heading out in the boat. We went out into the big Indian Ocean in our little tinny. I must admit I was a...Read More »

Day 79 – Middle Lagoon

Monday, 13 September 2010

This morning we had a very lazy morning. For the first time in ages there was a cool wind blowing through the windows so we decided to lie in bed. The kids were happy with that too. They used our bed as a trampoline for a while...Read More »

Day 78 – Middle Lagoon on Dampier Peninsula

Sunday, 12 September 2010

The guy with the generator is a turd. He ran it all night long, then just after the sun came up he and his wife decided to talk in front of it. I heard him yell out, “I can’t hear you” to his wife. I felt like...Read More »

Day 77 – Into Derby and back out again…

Saturday, 11 September 2010

We said goodbye to our fellow campers as they pulled out his morning. None of us in a real rush though. But Nathan rewired the inverter into the back for the fridge so that it is now hooked directly to the battery. We do have to remember...Read More »

Day 76 – Bell Gorge

Friday, 10 September 2010

Wow, what a hot night. No rain either which would have at least given us some relief. Not even a breeze to cool us down. I did have to get up at 4.30 and take a pain killer, so it is not over yet. After we got...Read More »

Day 75 – Tunnel Creek

Thursday, 9 September 2010

This morning we ate breakfast and packed up before going exploring the caves again and rocky outcrops that had surrounded us last night. We found a bat and some Aboriginal Art on the walls. It was really cool to be an explorer. We left our camp at...Read More »

Day 74 – Back to the Kimberley

Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Seen as the antibiotics are working we decided to head back into the Kimberley today. We packed up and had a swim before leaving the caravan park at 11am. Instead of doing the end of the Gibb River Rd 3 times, we are going to do a...Read More »

Day 73 – Broome

Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Today was a washing and maintenance day. I still had a huge toothache, but it is getting better. Still need those Nuraffen Plus! Hendrix was well today, thank goodness. Broome is quite a lot cooler than Kalumburu and King Edward River, so that has helped lots. We...Read More »

Day 72 – Broome and the dentist

Monday, 6 September 2010

Wow, I actually had an alright sleep last night. We slept in the car, again, and I think because I was upright, it was heaps better. Nathan was so tired he crashed out pretty easily and the kids were already asleep when we pulled up. We were...Read More »

Day 71 – Father’s Day and a tooth ache

Sunday, 5 September 2010

Hendrix was still sick again this morning, not keeping down his breakfast. Last night I had the crappiest night sleep because of a huge tooth ache that has been there slightly for a few days, but now it is to the point of unbearable. The only thing...Read More »

Day 70 – Hendrix’s 2nd Birthday

Saturday, 4 September 2010

Early this morning, 1.30am, Hendrix woke us up vomiting… again. He hasn’t been right for the past few days. Very lethargic and not eating much, and what he does eat doesn’t stay down for long. Poor thing, its his birthday today and he is sick. Not very...Read More »

Day 58 – Swim in Katherine Hot Springs

Monday, 23 August 2010

We packed up and farewelled our great camp site just after 8.30am and drove to Katherine. We went to the information centre, got our gas bottle refilled and filled the diesel tanks as well as got a few bits and pieces we needed and some groceries. We...Read More »

Day 57 – Bumming around Umbrawarra Gorge

Sunday, 22 August 2010

This morning we got up and thought, bugger it we couldn’t be arsed packing up again today and seen as it is Sunday we will stay here another day, have pancakes for breakfast and chill out. Plus this is the first camp spot we have had in...Read More »

Day 56 – Umbrawarra Gorge

Saturday, 21 August 2010

Both families packed up this morning and were on the road before 10am, Roger and Michelle before us. The fuel gauge was on 1/3 tank but then 100kms up the road it was on empty. Luckily of us just up the road was Mary River Roadhouse. We...Read More »

Day 55 – Friends to play with

Friday, 20 August 2010

This morning we found out what had happened to the boat last night. The entire roof rack had pushed forward on the car about 20cm. We were really lucky to avoid any damage. We put the boat in the water and went fishing in Jim Jim Billabong....Read More »

Day 54 – Twin Falls and Jim Jim Falls

Thursday, 19 August 2010

We were out of camp early again this morning before the heat struck. We got a splash of fuel in Cooinda before heading out to Twin Falls. To get to the falls, we had to purchase tickets for the boat shuttle ($12.50 per adult), which goes about...Read More »

Day 53 – Free Ranger activities in Kakadu

Wednesday, 18 August 2010

This morning we were up early to get to Yellow Water for the 8am free guided ranger walk. Yay, we weren’t the last ones to arrive. We saw lots of birds and it was a nice easy walk with two young children, all on a boardwalk. After...Read More »

Day 52 – Into Kakadu

Tuesday, 17 August 2010

This morning we were late leaving the cabin by the time we repacked our food, fit the clean clothes and linen in the car and cleaned up the cabin it was after 10am. Then we had to fill our water tank and we gave the car, trailer...Read More »

Day 48 to 51 - Darwin with family

Friday, 13 August 2010 to Monday, 16 August 2010

Last night Elokin was sick from dinner we think. We had a bought roast chicken with garlic bread and then ice cream and fresh milk. No one else was sick and she continued right through the night. Lesley and Breanna arrived about...Read More »

Day 47 – Litchfield National Park

Thursday, 12 August 2010

We were back on the road at 8.45am and into Litchfield National Park shortly after. We went for a walk at Greenant Creek to Tjaetaba Falls which is a 3km return walk. Nathan and Elokin went for a swim in one of the pools at the top....Read More »

Day 46 – A lovely swim at Bitter Springs

Wednesday, 11 August 2010

We were on the road just before 9am after having some weetbix for brekkie. We got fuel at Mataranka as well as a snack to eat at Bitter Springs, chocolate bullets for Nathan and I and a packet of chips each for the kids, $2 each, a...Read More »

Day 45 – Elokin has a great day fishing.

Tuesday, 10 August 2010

This morning we part packed up before going back out in the boat. Our plan was to be back to camp at 1pm, pack up the boat and trailer and be out of here at 3pm. Hah. We were having far too much fishing.

Nathan was the first...Read More »

Day 44 – Repairing the trailer

Monday, 9 August 2010

Nathan got up this morning and after breakfast started working on the wheel bearing. It took him until lunch time to remove the old bits that were wedged in the hub, but after that it was pretty much smooth sailing. He greased up the new ones and...Read More »

Day 43 – Nathan’s Birthday

Sunday, 8 August 2010

Seen as it was Nathan’s birthday today, it was a day for fishing, not fixing bearings! So we got up and had breakfast and put the boat in the water. The kids bought Nathan a new lure for his birthday, so he was using it. And it...Read More »

Day 42 – Our new bearings arrive

Saturday, 7 August 2010

We had planned on going fishing in the boat this morning before picking up our parts this afternoon. But we got to chatting to fellow travellers and stuffing around camp and by the time we could have been somewhat organised it was nearly time for us to...Read More »

Day 41 – Michael to the rescue!

Friday, 6 August 2010

This morning we were awake before sunrise. We didn’t sleep too badly and I think it was simply because we were all so tired when we stopped. All four of us ended up in the front two seats. Hendrix slept on me all night in the passengers...Read More »

Day 40 – A short, easy drive…… Disaster.

Thursday, 5 August 2010

Elokin and Hendrix had some friends to play with this morning. Charlie and Max from Adelaide. They had a great time together. We had camped next to their family. I had a great chat with their mum Marnie.

We packed up and then went and had another swim...Read More »

Day 39 – Moving on

Wednesday, 4 August 2010

We packed up this morning and discovered that our trailer had a flat tyre. Nathan swapped it over for the spare and we were finally on our way just after 12pm. We stopped in Borroloola for petrol and diesel at a different shop this time, and got...Read More »

Day 38 – Another great day for fishing

Tuesday, 3 August 2010

Today was another day spent fishing in the boat. Elokin had a ripper of a day catching 3 fish, 1 Catfish, 1 Queenie and 1 Jewfish. We kept the jewfish and the other two went back. We watched as a huge eagle swooped down and plucked the...Read More »

Day 37 – Elokin and Hendrix catch their first fish

Monday, 2 August 2010

Today we all went out fishing in the boat, along with 50 billion other boats roaring up the river from about 3am onwards. A GPS is required to navigate this river, or have a local show you the way. There are so many side shoots off the...Read More »

Day 36 – Batten Point

Sunday, 1 August 2010

This morning, being Sunday, we were a bit slow to get moving. We finally farewelled our Poison Creek camp spot at 10 past 9 and headed into Borroloola.

In Borroloola we had a diesel mix up, where their bowser wasn’t connected to their register and Nathan moved away...Read More »

Day 14 – Romandar catches an even bigger fish!

Saturday, 10 July 2010

It rained a little this morning so Elokin and Hendrix ate breakfast with the help of Rhonda.

The boys went fishing again and this time Guy caught the Barramundi! It was only 55cm so he threw it back as it was undersized, by 3 cms. Nathan caught a...Read More »

Day 13 – Nathan catches a big fish

Friday, 9 July 2010

This morning we checked the crab pot and got 2 big bucks to keep and 1 jenny and 1 small buck to throw back. Wahoo. It has been so long since we have eaten mud crab. Nathan had the privilege of chopping them in half.

It was another...Read More »

Day 12 – Port Stewart

Thursday, 8 July 2010

Today has been great! We have not driven anywhere. And Nathan finally got to put his boat in the water. After driving it 3305kms it can finally get wet. He didn’t catch any fish though, but he did get some poddy mullet in the cast net for...Read More »

Day 11 – Lakefield National Park

Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Yesterday while driving on Battlecamp Endeavour Rd we picked up a noise under our car that just didn’t sound right. So this morning Nathan and Guy jacked the back wheels of the car up and ran it in 5th gear to see if they could work out...Read More »

Day 10 – A fish is caught

Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Guy got up this morning and thought he would throw in a line before we headed off to Cooktown. So of course, he threw in the line and squidgie that he borrowed from Nathan  and within 30 seconds had landed a fish. The first fish of the...Read More »

Day 9 – Driving through the Daintree

Monday, 5 July 2010

It was raining this morning so I was unable to get a photo of our really nice camp. It was so lush and green but wet and a bit muddy.

We were on the road again just before 8. We had a fuel stop in Cairns to fill...Read More »

Day 8 – The Boulders

Sunday, 4 July 2010

We were attacked by 6 million mosquitos last night. It took me a while to find the Rid for some relief. Early to bed and early to rise. We were on the road again this morning by 8am.

Giru Historical and...Read More »

Day 7 – What is with the weather!

Saturday, 3 July 2010

Freezing, freezing, freezing! I swear the cold weather is following us. When we arrive somewhere it is nice and warm, by the time we leave it is freezing cold again. Damn it, we didn’t pack for this cold weather. As Nathan put it, this morning was as...Read More »

Hi there

I thought I would leave you a quick message to let you know that we are now in Cooktown and are about to go onto the Cape. We will be offline for a little bit now, I do have a few more posts to put up here, but I haven’t got...Read More »

Day 6 – Falling short

Friday, 2 July 2010

The Travelling Crew

We made it to Clairview Rest Area this evening. So a little short of our intended destination. It is a lovely spot right on the waters edge. A little noisy though with the railway and highway very close...Read More »

Day 5 – Repacking… again

Thursday, 1 July 2010

This morning being a new financial year I had to get the last of our tax stuff organised and emailed to our Accountant. I had set myself a whole bunch of reminders and managed to do them all. We went into Bundy and did a bit of...Read More »

Day 4 – Rain, rain, drive

Wednesday, 30 June 2010

This morning in the rain we left Brisbane for Burnett Heads to meet up with our travel companions Rhonda and Guy and stay there for the next two nights. It rained quite a bit today and it was freezing this morning in Brisbane. When we stopped in...Read More »

Day 3 – Hanging out

Tuesday, 29 June 2010

Last night was a great sleep! Having a comfortable bed and being able to lie down is fantastic!!! Today we hung out, went to the shops to try and fix our gas hose connection problem, unsuccessfully, and had lunch with more friends that we haven’t seen in...Read More »

Day 2 – Stopping by

Monday, 28 June 2010

Last night we pulled into a servo at South Grafton to fill up with diesel as we were running low. As we pulled in the guy came out and said he didn’t have eftpos as it was down. We did have some cash on us but I...Read More »

Day 1 – On the Road

Sunday, 27 June 2010

Okay, so by the time we packed up our things being left behind, hooked the trailer up, got ourselves organised and said our goodbyes to our family and Tripper it was about 10.30. So that is not too bad. We headed to the first servo we could...Read More »

Tomorrow is D Day!

Saturday, 26 June 2010

We have had a very busy day today. I have lost count of how many times Nathan has repacked the camper. It is like playing tetris in a really confined area. We removed a few things and then had lots of room with nothing in it. As...Read More »

Our Rig!

I think it is about time that I told you what our rig is….

We are driving a 2003 Nissan Patrol 4.2L Diesel ST-L Turbo Intercooler which we bought in early 2009.

The Patrol at Moruya

 Improvements we have made are: Nathan has made a drawer...Read More »

Only One Week To Go!

Sunday, 20 June 2010

The excitement is definitely building!!! Wow, I still can’t believe how quickly this has come around. So, last weekend we popped the camper trailer and started packing. I made our bed with fresh linen, assembled and made the kids beds, which are bunk stretcher beds. For clothes...Read More »

I love this planning stuff!!!!

So, I have spent many hours researching where to go, what to see and what to do. This is so much fun!!! I must mention my reference material here.

Books: Explore Australia By 4WD Adventure Treks, Camps Australia Wide 4. Magazines: Australian 4WD Monthly Great 4WD Destinations, Overlander Destinations. Maps: Hema Cape...Read More »

A Decision Is Made…

In August 2009, after months of discussion, the decision was made. We were going for it. Making the dream of travelling around Australia happen! We realised that if we continued to put it off for financial reasons that we would never get there before Elokin started school. The time was now.

Now all of the...Read More »

Hello world!

Welcome to my Travel Journal. My family and I are spending 8 months exploring this beautiful and vast landscape we call home, Australia. Our plan is to travel around the coast, catching and killing our food, camping for free and travelling as cheaply as possible.

We depart Sydney on June 27,...Read More »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

The life of a nomad…